McKinley is in first grade and her class is starting their math unit on learning about money. Now, I know that McKinley is quite behind on the money concept. She’s never really had any and she doesn’t understand that everything costs money (like her food, her clothes, THE HOUSE, etc). Younger siblings always seem to learn things sooner because they have an older sibling to teach them (like the time our little 2-year old neighbor Emma offered to buy our toy kitchen from us because she liked it, and McKinley didn’t even know what “buy” meant). I figure that once an older sibling at the store starts asking, “can we buy this?” then the younger ones catch on quicker. But McKinley has been living her sheltered little oldest-child life (where I try to not take any of my children shopping with me anyway), so we’ve been trying to explain the general concepts to her. In fact, try explaining that paper money is actually better than coin money (she totally doesn’t believe us).
So the other day she had a worksheet to do that involved pennies, and Milt got out his big jar of pennies that he’s been stuffing pennies (and the occasional nickel or dime) into since college. He was curious if he had enough to go golfing with, and figured McKinley could use some of the pennies for her math homework. So as Milt is pouring out the coins on the table, McKinley watches in complete silence and awe and says, “YESSSSS....We’re RICH!!!!!” AND she’s serious, folks. She thinks it is like a chest of gold, and we can buy anything in the world with Milt’s nineteen dollars in change. Oh, goodness. Isn’t it too bad we can’t always be that innocent (and "rich")?
9 comments:
Hey! We're rich too! It's so fun to have someone else to be rich with! I love how when my kids ask for things and I tell them we don't have the money for it they remind me about Daddy's coin jar - it has enough money in it to fuel every dream they could ever have! Sadly though, it's probably less than nineteen dollars. I guess you are richer than we are...
I love your new blog!
We have tried to teach the boys about money, but it is so hard. They LOVE quarters. We have started doing an allowance program with them so they can learn the imprtance of saving money. Yeah right, i end up making their beds and finishing their jobs. Deron wonders what i am paying them for.
Fun! I like to think that my children know the concept of money, but I think Kelsea is the only one who truly gets it!
I love your header picture!!! How'd you do that?
I just digital scrapbooked it in a small size as a jpg and then I clicked "shrink to fit" when I uploades it to blogger (as a picture). Hope that helps!
Just last night I was paying Jcaob, yes Jacob works somtimes, and we were trying to figure out his tithing. He was so upset at the end because although he had earned $4 yesterday, he had to give up almost all of his coin money to pay his tithing and he was so sad to be poorer than before he worked! I tried to explain, but in the end I offered to trade him one of his dollar bills for four quarters and he accepted, but then he tried to convince me that I really should be happy trading him my four quarters for just his last penny!
I love the new blog! Well, let's put it this way..you are richer than me. My boys get excited if they find one nickel...I wish that was all it took to be financially happy!!!
I agree your family is rich! It may not be because of all the pennies but I would say your rich.
Devon!!! I'm so glad you found my blog. You have the most adorable family. I'm at my parents' house today and my mom just walked by as I was reading your blog. She commented on how good you look. I think you look totally hot too. I'm loving the hair! Yea! I'm so glad I can keep up on what's going on with you now!
I totally feel for McKinley. Being the oldest kid can be really rough. You get lots of great babysitting experience, but you're always a few steps behind the other kids with older siblings. I didn't even listen to the radio or know who great bands were until high school.
I LOVED THIS POST!
Post a Comment