Thursday, October 9, 2008

Do I have to take my children?

Pennypacker Mills

One of the things I miss most about Utah is the playgroup that we went to every week. I LOVED chatting with the moms that went and I’ll probably keep in touch with those ladies FORVER, so I knew that I really needed to find a new playgroup here to help “fill the HUGE, GINORMOUS, GAPING void" (how's that, girls?). So I was so excited when I heard that a group of ladies from church were starting up a new “mommy group” here. They are going to go and do all sorts of different activities around the community each week, so I’m going to get to see a lot of new things in PA, and I am so excited. But the problem I’ve found so far is that I actually have to take my children (that’s kind of the idea), they don’t always cooperate, and I actually have to find the right location where the ladies are meeting.

For example, my first week we went to visit Pennypacker Mills, which is a restored colonial-revival mansion that was owned by a former governor of Pennsylvania and used as a headquarters by George Washington in 1777. It looked BEAUTIFUL and I was so excited to go on a tour of the mansion and learn some great history about the area.

So we go up to the porch of the house, and I realize that I have to leave the double stroller outside. Hmmmm. See, there’s a problem with that. I have a 30 pound, very heavy 10-month-old and a 2-year-old that runs away from me every chance she gets, and I don’t take them ANYWHERE that they are not either tied down in a cart or a stroller. But I threaten Kennedy’s life if she doesn’t stay holding my hand and we walk into the foyer. There are a couple of rooms on each side of the foyer (fully decorated with actual antiques) that are roped off so that people can’t go in them and the tour guide starts explaining what the rooms were used for. Of course, after about 20 seconds of holding my hand, Kennedy twists so that she can get free and runs underneath the rope into one of the rooms (with the actual antiques). Now the tour guide helpfully says, “oh, we need to get her out of there.” Hmmmm, nice. The other moms are busy carrying their 2-year-olds, but I am the only lucky one with a baby AND a 2-year-old, so I just plopped Maddox down in the middle of the foyer (praying that he wouldn’t decide to crawl into the other roped off room), and I chased a squealing and laughing Kennedy around a table in a room until I finally caught her and told everyone we would wait for them outside (while mortified that I am the mother with the out-of-control 2 year old.)

On the bright side, I got to see the foyer, which was nice. And the grounds were beautiful, so while I didn’t get to see much of the house, I’m a huge fan of trees and I got to see some more of them and take some pictures of the Kennedy while we waited (Maddox fell asleep). And afterwards we had a little craft activity OUTSIDE of the house on the side porch, which was perfect. So it was still fun, and I am at least grateful that Kennedy didn’t break any eyeglasses or vases that were used in the 1800s. I’m afraid Pennsylvania might have kicked us out of the state if she had done any major damage to a historical site our first month here.


Pictures of Kennedy we took OUTSIDE Pennypacker Mills
while everyone was enjoying their tour

Kennedy sitting by the pretty trees...I don't envy whoever has to rake these grounds!
The NEXT playgroup I went to didn’t exactly go as planned either. I had an old copy of the playgroup schedule, so I headed to storytime at a library that A)didn’t actually have storytime and B)no one else from church came to anyway (they had changed locations). Now, being in a library is just about heaven to me most of the time, except that I kept seeing things that I wanted to check out and I can’t get a library card until I get my PA drivers license or a utility bill (which I didn’t have yet). So it was like being in a candy store without your wallet (or more aptly, being in a Barnes and Noble without a wallet…even worse!)…Pure torture!

So we walked around and LOOKED at the books, and then went to a nearby park to let Kennedy run around and Maddox eat (their favorite past-times). While we were there, a different group of ladies and kids came to the park for their mommy playgroup. Now these ladies were very nice, but their playgroup was for “families with two mommies,” so I didn’t quite fit in. But they helped keep Kennedy from jumping off the side of the playground equipment that was like 6 feet up, which was nice of them. Then that led to them asking about us and when they found out we were new, they talked about how hard it is to move to a new place and asked your normal friendly get-to-know you questions (I think I mentioned three times that my HUSBAND got transferred here for work...real subtle). So I did get to meet some other moms, I’ve just never been to one of these kind of playgroups (for obvious reasons, plus not a lot of them in Utah…that I know of). But hey, I figure I got to make some new and different friends, and they were all very very nice, and I had a nice time talking to other moms. It was yet another moment when I thought, “I’m not in Utah anymore.” But I wanted diversity, and boy am I getting it!

So next week, I’m going to do my darndest to go to the right place and meet the actual ladies that I know for playgroup, while making sure I can use my double stroller…I’ll let you know how it goes (with my luck, I’ll end up in Delaware….which is not that far away apparently!)


Kennedy at the park at our "new" playgroup

Kennedy on the swing...she didn't even fall off this time!


You can see Maddox's cute front teeth in this one...I love this boy's smile!

10 comments:

Sherian said...

Oh goodness your kids are so cute! I love how crazy you are out there with a 2 year-old AND and 10 month old...where as here, they would ask you why you waited so long or if you had trouble getting pregnant! Hang in there sister, you are awesome.
I totally LOVE the new playgroup, that just cracks me up picturing you and your 'HUSBAND' comments! I just love your stories. I will live vicariously through your outside world!

Jen said...

I miss you!!

Mindi B said...

I still get the giggles when I think of you at that park with the alternative lifestyles of those mothers. You are so cute. I miss you a bunch!

Rachel said...

Wow Devon. That made me laugh- only because I can sooooo relate- to the out of control two year old and extra baby in tow- not to the Two mommy playgroup. That is a great story though. I'll have to add that one to my funny list along with the time Christian went on a "date" with another man without knowing it! Anyway, good for you for getting out there and making the effort. I don't even do that and I've lived in the same town my entire life. You are awesome and I love you and miss you!

The Blomquist Bunch said...

DEVON! You seriously make me laugh out loud on nearly every post you put up. Muchas Gracias, amiga! The combination of Kennedy's actions and your dialogue are just too good. I'm surprised you haven't been "discovered" yet to have cameras follow you around for a new hit show (you in PA and Jen Earl when she takes the crew to Disneyland--now THAT's FUN television!!)

Jodi said...

That is so funny! I so can understand what you're going through! I don't know how you do it when you have all three: I can just barely do it with Jesusito and Jasmine! They are very close to the same age as your younger two, so I empathize with you and Kennedy running under the ropes...Jesusito likes to do things like that as well, and it's so hard to chase him with a baby stuck to your hip.:) Aaaahhhh, I know we'll laugh hard about this when it's not happening to us.:)

Robin said...

I know exactly what you are talking about with the kids in tow. I have started to learn how to juggle mine, but ANYWHERE I go I have women come up and comment on the number of small children I have and how hard that is. Though this may be true, Jacob is old enough to understand these women are talking bad about him and his siblings so I spend a lot of effort trying to convince these women, and myself, that they are good kids and I enjoy having them with me. Just hang in there. If you say it enough it actually starts to feels true. I can testify to that.

jb said...

Oh to have been there with you and then giggled all the way home. I hope you enjoy every minute of that adventure you're on. We're sure enjoying the little escapades you write about.

Macy said...

Dev- How funny!!! I'm surprised you went outside and took pictures of Kennedy. When Kate does that, (and she does it a lot), I'm in no mood to take her picture! After bearly surviving church yesterday, it's nice to hear about other energetic kids. I went up to bear my testimony yesterday, and as soon as Kate saw me, she RAN to the pulpit to stand by me. I could hear Josh crying in the back of the room, and I thought "Why am I here at all?!!!!"

Forsyth Family said...

When are you gonna write your memoirs??!! I already have the BYU picture blown up and in frame!! Do you think it is good enough for a Christmas Card--I think I look kind of goodfy in that hat! When I wrote the " putting down roots" post I specifically thought of you --I did not want to make you miss us to much--but the wrestless side of me envies you and the adventure like the one you guys are on--just think of how big the roots are on the trees in your yard!!!!