SICK DAY
On their class "Sick Day," all of the kids had to come and present a report they had made on some sort of illness spread by germs. They also got to come in their pajamas and slippers to give their presentation. One girl even came and had pretend chicken pox colored all over her face (everyone was very jealous!) McKinley did her report on pink eye (she could pretty much write a book about it given how many times she's had it), and it was fantastic! I'll include the video at the bottom for the grandparents to watch, and anyone else with 3 minutes to kill learning how to avoid the spread of conjunctivitis. It's very informative.
Here is our cute "sick" McKinley

100th DAY of SCHOOL
I love that this is celebrated in schools now. I don't remember celebrating the 100th day when I was little, but I think it's great that they're figuring out that they spend A LOT of days at school! In McKinley's class, they were instructed to dress up like they thought they would look when they are 100 years old. We decided that McKinley is going to be a fabulous looking old lady, (although she didn't understand why old people wear mismatched clothes in so many layers. Yeah, that was a hard one to explain, but she loved mismatching her clothes anyway!) There was even a boy from her class that came with his hair sprayed gray and he wore suspenders and had teeth that came out. I sincerely hope they were not his grandfather's actual teeth! I would've loved to see that!
The little old lady herself

THE PRINCIPAL'S BIRTHDAY
Since McKinley's principal for her elementary school was born in the 60s, the school kids were all asked to dress up like they lived during the 60s to surprise him on his birthday. McKinley said he was in fact very surprised and came around to every class to tell them all how great they looked. And I have to admit that it was a challenge for me to try to figure out what people exactly wore in the 60s. I looked online at some of the fashions from each decade, and I couldn't believe how much the styles from the 60s look like styles in stores now...high waisted dresses, jackets and cardigans, and platform pumps (just like now)! I know, I know...I sound like my mother. McKinley loved having me "tease" her hair (it was HUGE at first before I calmed it down), and I told her that women used to make their hair like that on PURPOSE! She thought it was so funny! So then after all my hard work in finding something 60s-ish for her to wear, she headed off to school very excited about her outfit until she got there and saw a bunch of girls dressed as hippies (which she thought looked so cool!) HELLO OTHER MOMS -- That is from the 70s and is totally cheating! Although a 70s day would be really fun too...
Welcome to the 60s!
And here is McKinley's dress-rehearsal at home of her presentation on Pink Eye. Enjoy!
9 comments:
What fun dress up days! Sounds like she has a fun teacher. Kelsie watched the video and thought she did a great job!
you got serious dress up a kid skills, devon! mckinley is a natural, of course (LOVED her old lady pose!) what a clever idea to do sick day as a dress up day---and write a report in first grade!? great job, mckinley!!
See! She takes after me too! What cute grandkids I have. You did a great job, McKinley! Okay, now we've seen McKinley talking and Maddox walking.... what's Kennedy going to do? I miss her climbling all over everything -- like over you on skype! Miss you guys...
Girls love dress up...at every age. It's true.
xoxoxo
I love it. I'm with you, I don't remember doing any of those kind of things in school. I thin we had pajama day? when we had a readathon. Those were fun. Mckinley looks darling in ever one.
I always thought dress up days were the funnest at school. I think they need to start having them at work...
I LOVE the video! Doesn't that bring back memories of the good ol' McMaster family home videos with big sister Ashley talking and dominating the camera while the younger siblings were running around trying to get someone's attention? :) Too cute! And Maddox looks so big! Did you cut his hair? I've been dying to talk to you--call me sometime. Aubrey finally potty-trained herself last month, and I heard Kennedy did too! Hugs!
So cute! How fun! Wow, you did research? You're a very good mom.
:)
You are such a good mom! I dread those "theme" days. It never fails that I either forget about it or something they want to wear is still in the dirty clothes. Every Friday morning at our house is a nightmare with kids trying to find an appropriately-colored shirt for "spirit days". Aughh! Isn't it good enough that they have matching shoes and their hair is combed? I think I can trace it back to my laundry detestation... But I really admire the mom's who are so on top of things and can make it fun for the kids! Way to go!
Post a Comment