We went out house-hunting this week, and after looking at what felt like a million yucky houses, we actually found a house we love! It was one of the hardest weeks ever, and nothing has ever felt
less like a vacation! We were just so exhausted (from looking at houses all day for 4 days straight) and depressed (becuase we couldn't find anything decent for our budget) and sad (because we are moving away from so many people we love), when we finally decided to place a low offer on a house that was WAY too expensive (but the listing said
all offers considered, so we took them at their word :). After a few counter-offers, we actually got the house for only 3,000 more than we had budgeted for (which for me is not bad at all!) So it worked out very well. The house is a million times nicer than the other houses we had looked at, and way nicer than anything we ever thought we'd be able to get, but it does back up on a semi-busy road and has no fence, so we got it for a lot lower than other houses in the neighborhood. Although, now we will be broke for a few years, so getting a fence is going to take some major budgeting discipline....not a talent of mine (yet!) Anyway, everyone has been asking for pictures, so BOY ARE YOU GETTING PICTURES! Disclaimer: Most of these pictures are of my favorite parts of the house (i.e. the pantry, laundry room, and master bathroom) and none are of the kids rooms because they are just beige rooms, and they all look the same (sorry!). If you really want to see the beige kids rooms, or the garage and the unfinished basement, let me know and I'll e-mail them to you. But besides that, I basically took enough pictures for a photo-tour...
Front of the house
Entryway and staircase (all four bedrooms open to the railing at the top of the stairs)
Living and dining room (to the right of the foyer)
View of Family room from the kitchen
The office/library (to the left of the foyer)
The kitchen (this is the part that is a zillion times nicer than the other houses....I'm so excited to cook something!)
THE PANTRY (totally sold me on the house...so many houses didn't even have pantrys out here - crazy!)
The Morning Room/Sunroom (where we'll probably eat most of the time, just behind the kitchen)

The laundry room....a whole room! (Right now I have a laundry closet)
The master bedroom...which we will paint as soon as we can afford to buy a can of paint again! (not my favorite color for our room)

The master bathroom (taken from outside)
The master bathroom vanities
The master shower
And the brand-new deck (I might've started with a fence before putting in the deck, but whatever)
So there it is! We are so excited, which is good because I needed something to look forward to instead of just being sad to leave (and boy am I excited to do laundry now that I have a whole ROOM for it!) If you're ever in the neighborhood, come on over for a visit! Also, a HUGE thanks to my parents for watching the girls for us while we were gone, and to Jennie B (the best visiting teacher EVER) for watching Maddox. It was so nice to not have to worry about the kids while we were out there! So, thank you thank you!
14 comments:
Holy cow Devon! That's a gorgeous house! Actually, that's pretty much the house of my dreams, so way to go! I'm sure it gives you a bit of peace to know that now you have somewhere to go that will be home. I might just have to plan a trip out there just to see your house! Heck, who needs a backyard when you have an unfinished basement? The kids will love it. Good job!
Wow Devon! I love the house. It is beautiful. You should have room for everything....and the rest will hide in the basement. We never did manage to get a temple trip in together. Hope you enjoy your move!
Gorgeous. I love it. I am sure you will make it even better. I'm sad your leaving, but I'm sure you will have a great new adventure.
I love the house. It is beautiful. My favorite is the huge deck and all the big, green trees. Reminds me of home. It's gorgeous.
Your house is beautiful. I am so excited for you! I love all the colors! It looks like you will have a ton of space and will be in a nice neighborhood. Thanks for posting all the photos. You will have such a great time back East - not to mention, the Ward will greatly benefit from you guys being there!!
I am so sad that it's just around the corner till you move.. Maybe now it will give Jeff and I am excuse to head East sometime.. I love the house and it's larger than the one you have here. I haven't been in the one you have here but have seen it. Much, much bigger...
What a beautiful home! Thanks for sharing the pictures and letting us in on your new place. I love IT! Everything about it. I am excited for you to start your new adventure and what a great place to start it in. We will miss you.
I could see how I would start to enjoy making dinner if I was making it in that kitchen! The house looks lovely! Have you had any interest on your current house yet?
It is so beautiful! Congratulations. I'd move to Penn if I got a house like that out of it! Good luck with everything!
Dev- I'm so sad that your moving! But- Wow! What a house!! I would leave to if I had that waiting for me!!! We will always have the blog world to keep in touch! Congrats on swinging yourself a deal on the house!! Raquel would be VERY proud!
Amazing!! A morning room huh? sounds pretty high class!! I am trying to be happy for you, but I just don't think I am quite there yet!!! Congratulations--that neighborhood and ward does not know how lucky they are!!
Amazing!! A morning room huh? sounds pretty high class!! I am trying to be happy for you, but I just don't think I am quite there yet!!! Congratulations--that neighborhood and ward does not know how lucky they are!!
I LOVE your house!! Okay, here is my tip for saving up for the fence: As you are packing up the house to move, list anything you don't absolutely want/need/love for sale on Craigslist. Derrick and I had to majorly downsize before we moved to NM, and we sold a bunch of stuff on Craigslist. The best thing about it is that the buyers come to you.
I love the pictures of your house! i'd love to come and visit someday!
uhm, beautiful!!! Wow not a bad "house swap" if I do say so myself. Wow, really nice. I am so excited for your new adventures!! I have added you to my "buddy" list I will for sure be keeping an eye on you and your cute family. All the best! Kim
Post a Comment