Sunday, August 31, 2008

MOVING

We are finally here in our new house, and I’ve been getting lots of request for pictures, but our house is a huge pile of boxes (surrounded by brick), so there is not much to show of the house yet. It has been a CRAZY week with lots of highs and lows, but I think we might have made it…hopefully. If anyone thinks moving sounds like a good idea, THINK AGAIN! I cannot believe what utter chaos it has been, and we didn’t even have to do the work ourselves! Here is a rundown of our last week, just for fun (and so I remind myself how incredibly insane it is to move!): DISCLAIMER: This is probably (hopefully) the longest post I ever have to write. If you don’t want to read it, no problem. The moral of the post is, “don’t ever move if you don’t have to.”

Last Sunday: Milt has to leave church early to make his flight to PA to work for the week (yes, I got to do the moving stuff in Utah by myself.) He calls from the airport to say that he forgot his laptop, so he’s coming home and will have to catch the red-eye flight at midnight. “Cool,” I think, “he can help me get some things ready.” I take the kids to my parents to stay for the next few days because our stuff is getting all packed up. Milt leaves for his flight.

Monday: Two Packing ladies arrive to pack all of our stuff. I stand around and think how silly it is that I’m not allowed to pack anything (or it won’t be insured by the moving company), but then I realize how much there is to clean after they pack. They work until 6 and I run to my parents to see the kids before we put them to bed.

Tuesday: Packing ladies come to finish and they PACK UP MY COMPUTER first thing in the morning – aaarg! They finish at noon, but I have to stay to wait for people to come take down the TV and surround sound and get the washer/dryer ready for moving…which takes until 5 pm (so I sat in my boxed up house and thought about leaving). I then get down to my parents to eat with the kids before putting them to bed.

Wednesday: The HUGE TRUCK comes and blocks the entire cul-de-sac. 5 guys start loading like crazy. I run over to Jen Earl’s house for a goodbye brunch with the neighborhood ladies. Then I run home to make sure the moving guys don’t need anything before I drive around returning things I’ve borrowed from people before our cars get picked up to be shipped back east. When I get home the guys finish up and leave, but I notice about 20 minutes later that they’ve forgotten my favorite wreath on the wall (it was supposed to be placed on top gently, so it wouldn’t break.) It is too delicate to pack in a box, so there was no way to get it sent back there (other than on the truck). I finally lost it, because it was just so sad (or maybe it was the depressingly empty and now dirty house). But we figured that someone will probably come look at the house and think, “I HAVE to have that wreath, so I guess we’ll buy this house!” In fact, I did get a call that someone wanted to look at the house the next morning, so I planned to clean with Milt when his plane got in so it will be all ready the next morning bright and early…which was the plan until Milt called from Pennsylvania to let me know he’s missed his flight and won’t be able to get in until the next morning. Great. So my wonderful, saintly, kind mother (who has cleaning ladies clean her own house so she doesn’t have to) comes and cleans my house with me until about 2 in the morning – she is seriously the best!


Goodbye Brunch at the Earls

Mindi, Jamie, and Jennie (don't they look sad that I'm leaving?)


Jen Earl is so sad I'm leaving (okay, so she was just blowing her nose, but it looks like she's sad!)


The wreath we left behind...isn't it lovely? It would've looked great in our new place. Sigh.
Thursday: The people come look at the house and Milt’s flight gets in. We spend a few hours filling in nail holes in the wall and re-painting, then we load the kids up to go spend some time with Milt’s sister Lacey and her husband Brandon and Milt’s brother Ryley before we leave. We finally get on the road to drive to Vegas at about 8:00 pm and don’t get there until about 2 in the morning (and it was still 95 degrees at 2:00 in the morning there…I was so impressed!)

McKinley on the car ride down to Vegas


Friday: We are having so much fun with Milt’s family and other siblings, when Kennedy decides to start throwing up. I spent the day “sacrificing my hands and body to save the carpet.” She finally starts feeling better before bedtime.

Kennedy fell asleep laying like this on the couch...which she never does! Poor little sick thing.
Saturday: We visited with some of Milt’s cousins and his Aunt Vicki and had a little pool party (and Kennedy was deathly afraid of the pool, so we made her go in it anyway because it’s kind of nice to see her vulnerable and scared of something other than car washes). I also went with my sister-in-law Melanie to buy a double stroller so that we would be able to make it through the airport….totally worth every penny!

Kennedy with Aunt Vicki, and cousins Melanie and Marissa

Maddox with Big Daddy
Milt and the kids at the pool (Kennedy was not a fan)
Sunday: Maddox started throwing up right after breakfast (a very large breakfast), and Kennedy must have felt like he was stealing her thunder, so she decided to throw up again too. No church for us! It took me, Milt, and Milt’s mom all to tag team all of the cleaning up we had to do (Maddox threw up EVERYWHERE!) We just were hoping that they would feel better by the next day for the plane ride.

Monday: No one seemed to be sick, so we somehow made it to the airport in one piece. Kennedy was a PILL on the plane…she didn’t handle having to stay in one place very well. Maddox was not real happy either. He doesn’t handle hunger well at all, and we were afraid to feed him too much in case it made him sick again. But we got to Pennsylvania in time to go the hotel and crash – we were so exhausted!

The girls and their cute rolling backpacks...they felt so grown-up!


Tuesday: Milt had to work, so I planned to take the kids to the mall on Tuesday. Unfortunately, I decided to catch the nasty stomach flu and throw up all day long. In a two bedroom hotel suite. But don’t worry. Maddox decided to throw up one more time again to make me feel like I wasn’t alone. Maddox slept most of the day, and McKinley and Kennedy had fun roaming free with very little supervision (thank goodness for the safety door locks on the hotel doors, or Kennedy would have been long gone.) At one point of my misery, I looked up to see Kennedy soaking wet and wiping her wet hands on the mirror of the closet door. I asked her how she got up to the sink to get her hands wet and she said, “I wash hands in the potty.” Yes, she had been washing her hands (and body, apparently) in the same toilet I had been throwing up in…which made me throw up again just realizing it. She also managed to get cereal and milk on every piece of furniture and try on all of McKinley’s clothes. But there was very little resting going on for me. Milt had to rush back from work early so that he could take me to the bank to get paperwork notarized so that he could be my power of attorney at the closing of our house (since I was throwing up, I decided maybe I could miss the fun filling out of paperwork early the next morning.) So I went, with no make-up, greasy hair, in my sweats to the bank to fill out paperwork. I was so glad that there was no one I could possibly run into that knew me (since we don’t know anybody) while I looked like that (that’s my glass half-full for you). We also were on the phone at the same time with the title company telling us about some last minute changes to our down-payment amount we needed the next morning for the house (they told us it was going to be $8,000 more than we had expected, but luckily it was just a communication error between the relocation company and the mortgage company.) We figured it was just more stress to make the day somewhat eventful….we don’t like to be bored.

The kids at the hotel


Wednesday: Milt went to the closing on the house without me (I was still sick), and everything went pretty smoothly…amazing! He got the keys and everything, so we took the kids over to the house later that night. They loved it! Kennedy just ran back and forth from room to room and squealed while McKinley sat talking about her new room and how she needs it to be pink soon (we’re on it…. eventually). Even Maddox loved crawling around (it’s actually just scooting, but we’re proud nonetheless)! So we went back for one more night at the hotel before our beds got there.

Thursday: MOVING DAY. We had to wake the kids up super early to pack up and get over to the house by 8:00 am for the moving guys to show up with all our stuff. We knew everything wasn’t going to go perfectly (no moves ever go without a few casualties), but boy did it top even our worst expectations! Here are the highlights: Our cherry wood bed footboard got all scuffed up (shaved off on pieces), McKinley’s bed got pretty scuffed up, and my treadmill is in pieces (not intentional pieces, ripped off pieces). I know – my treadmill! There is insurance for everything, but it’s going to take a couple of weeks and I don’t know if my pants will still fit by then! Can they reimburse me for that? But here is the real kicker in the pants of moving day. Milt went and bought the moving guys lunch and when he got back, he left his wallet on the counter (dumb, trusting Utah people that we are). After the movers left, we were heading out to grab a bite for dinner and Milt couldn’t find it anywhere. So we thought it was probably just under a box or hiding in the mess of our kitchen. When I went to pay for dinner at the restaurant and my card was declined, we totally freaked out! We called the card company and they told us that someone found Milt’s wallet on the side of the road and called to report it lost before they took it to the local Police Station. Hmmmm, we thought. Could Milt have accidentally lost it on the way home from getting lunch? So we called the people who found the wallet and they found it while bike riding on a road just past our house that we had never even driven on before (about 20 minutes after the movers had left). So one of the mover guys must have grabbed the wallet and then threw it out the window when they saw there was no cash inside (Milt is not a cash guy…thank goodness!) But can you believe that! WE HAD JUST BOUGHT THEM LUNCH! We were so upset. These guys had been in our house talking with the kids and us ALL DAY, and then they did this? Yuck. Hard lesson learned fast…protect all money stuff. Luckily, the people who found the wallet were so honest. It gave us hope that Philly wasn’t full of a bunch of criminals! Anyway, we went to sleep very glad that our house has an alarm, because we were pretty on edge.

Milt and Maddox in front of the moving truck

The girls trying (for a few minutes at least) to stay out of the movers way

McKinley loves unpacking! My poor treadmill
FRIDAY: Unpacking while Milt was at work. My main goal was to get the kitchen all unpacked and situated – and I barely made a dent in it (But I did get the computer and a TV all ready to go...gotta have priorities). Kennedy spent the day trying to get away from me so that she could get into stuff she’s not allowed to. First I found her standing on the edge of my bathtub by the sink (with MY toothbrush in her mouth) trying to fill the bathtub behind her up with water from the sink with a tiny little Listerine cup (holds about half an ounce of water). I then couldn’t find her anywhere (which is NEVER good), but finally found her in the back of my closet behind some clothes putting Carmex lip balm all over her legs like lotion. After that I made her stay with me in the kitchen, until I found her hanging on the handle to the top oven (picture below is taken just after). Seriously, is it any wonder I can’t get anything accomplished? But I did get a chance to go to the grocery store that night (Wal-mart) and I realized that while the gas here is cheaper than Utah, the groceries are definitely not! It’s cheaper here to get a gallon of gasoline than a gallon of milk – how wrong is that?

Kennedy's new favorite place to hang out...and play in the water and with Mom's make-up at the same time!

Kennedy was found swinging on the handle to the top oven....eeeek!

McKinley was very proud that I hooked up a TV by myself (even if it was the old school one!)


SATURDAY: Unpacking again. Goal is still to finish the kitchen, but still had a few boxes left. McKinley said to me tonight, “Mom, I need to make some friends here. When are you going to walk me around the town so I can meet some kids?” Yeah, lets go walk around the “town.” Do we have a town? We have a separate city name, township name, and our mailing address is in a city different from either of those. I don’t understand any of it. I’m still trying to figure out the neighborhood! Also, Milt had to check the BYU score online...he felt so deprived!

Putting together a toy closet from IKEA

Milt is checking the BYU score AGAIN!
SUNDAY: Church! It was really nice to go and feel welcomed to Pennsylvania. Everyone was so happy to see us there, and the bishop hinted that we could be in Primary (Milt was very excited). After we dropped McKinley off to Primary, we went to take Kennedy to her class. A lady came in not 2 minutes after we had been in there and said, “Oh, are you McKinley’s parents? I just met her – boy is she a hoot!” At my frightened expression, the lady told us that McKinley had just told everyone about her family and that she had one little sister and a “plump” brother. WHAAAT? Only McKinley! Anyway, we just got back from taking a walk around the neighborhood. Our neighbors have not yet brought over cookies and introduced themselves, but we decided it’s probably just because they’re all out of town for the long weekend. I’m sure they’ll start baking for us when they get back. But the kitchen is done! Yeah! Tomorrow we are going to run errands and unpack (again), and then McKinley will start school on Tuesday. She is so excited! We went to the school and met her teacher on Thursday, and McKinley can’t wait to go back.

Kennedy and Maddox after church

Here is a picture of some trees next to our neighborhood for Lisa G. and Andrea D. It really is beautiful!

21 comments:

RaeLynn said...

wow, that was a novel! But I read every word and I am so happy/sad for you. I'm glad you are finally in and starting to get settled...but I canNOT believe the stolen wallet story, and all the barfing! What the heck Devon?!

I'm so glad we have blogs to keep in touch!

Jen said...

I miss you. Jason may be coming out that way sooner than I thought...I may just have to join him. I still can't believe you are really gone.

jb said...

Yes, I will take your advice and never move. At least not with three kids under the age of six. I'm glad you guys, at least, made it there in one piece, even if some of your furniture did not.

The Andersons: said...

It was a long post, but worth reading. When it rains, it pours...sound like quite the move! Just imagine if you had to pack up a U-haul yourself and drive across country. Well the little glimpses of your home make it look beautiful. I hope you have a chance to meet the neighbors soon and make friends for your kids...maybe then you can unpack the rest of your boxes. Or maybe there will be a cute teenage daughter that will want to watch the kids for you while you unpack in peace... Or you could try my solution. Turn up the radio loud enough you can't hear anything and unpack in peace (until of course you go explore the damage three kids can cause on a new and beautiful house!

Sherian said...

Whew! Just reading that makes me need a good nap, I can not even imagine going through it all! I don't think I will ever move, not ever! I would have had a complete meltdown.
Your house is SO beautiful, I cannot wait to see pictures of it all done. If it makes you feel better, I think we just unpacked our last box this spring and we've been here for two years. What's the rush, right?
Sounds to me like you deserve some fantastic neighborhood treats and a spa day. Hang in there!

Unknown said...

Your new house is gorgeous! that is why you didn't seem so sorry to leave. Sorry I missed your bye bye party. Sorry for all the moving badness. I hope this week is better and a good start. I will think of you as I read the Crocodile book this month.

Macy said...

I'm glad you made it to Penn. in one piece!!! I can't believe on top of it all you were sick! That is so crappy. I hope that you love it there and that your neighbors start baking!!! lol!

Forsyth Family said...

By the end of the novel it sounded as if things were starting to calm down!! Tell Milt not to feel to bad--we live in Utah and had to listen to the first half of the game on the radio--and then watch the second half with no sound at JCW'S!!!! We have snow-capped mountains already--so enjoy your beautiful northeastern fall weather!!!

Mindi B said...

Oh man!!! I laughed out loud at some of your moving trauma and felt seriously sad for you with a lot of the other trauma! I mean . . . the treadmill?!!!! What in the world! I am so glad to see some smiling faces at the end, however, I need to see one of you so that I know you are happy. I miss you already! I hope that you have a much better week this week!!! I look forward to reading more!

jennie said...

What a week! I don't envy you. But, I'm so glad you're settled (& no one else is sick!) that "plump" brother thing had me cracking up. What cute kids! I'm glad everything is working out for you guys. Hopefully you'll be able to kick your feet up pretty soon! Good luck!

Jen (momofmandm) said...

I can't believe that you had to leave your cute wreath! How lame is that. Also what is wrong with people? I can't believe they stole his wallet and all that got ruined. Isn't moving th pits? I am so glad that you finally made it and in one piece. You sure had your hands full. We miss you guys and hope that it all goes well there for you.

Annie said...

Oh, Devon, I totally sympathize! Moving is the pits...but it DOES get better! Keep telling yourself that.
And, yes, food is WAY more expensive outside Utah. I don't know why, but whenever I'm at the grocery store in Utah I'm always amazed at how cheap everything is.
Hang in there! :)

The Blomquist Bunch said...

Thanks for the excellent true-life-story of love, life and betrayal (stinkin' creepy moving guys). How fun to "hear" your voice and all that has happened to you since I last saw you (you know, the day I tortured my baby's baby toe at your goodbye party . . .) I love that you are forever connected to our neighborhood through blogs and facebook--hooray! You need to install cameras throughout your house to get Kennedy's shannanigans on film---you could win some serious cash off that kid!! You are a most excellent lady and we miss you guys!

jennie said...

First of all... I'm A TERRIBLE FRIEND!! I didn't even know you were moving! I'm terrible! I loved the novel, and I'm sorry about all the moving casualties, including the wallet. I LOVE the girls brown dot dresses, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE your new house. I'm sort of jealous because I love PA and would move there in a heartbeat if we had a reason to do so. Maybe I can just come sleep on your floor for a bit! Good luck with unpacking!

dave and raquel said...

Wow, I've never seen a post with 14 comments before! You are going to be one missed girl! Your kids are so cute I can't believe how big they smile for every picture! You're going to love it in Penn...but I sure wish you were lots closer!

Megan said...

Wow! I hope things settle down for you VERY soon! I am so excited for you guys to have a new fun adventure! Good luck to you! Your home is beautiful.

Andrea said...

That was quite the moving adventure. I'm glad you survived it all. Thanks for the pictures of the trees! I love it and it made me feel so special! You are the best! Hang in there.

Rachel said...

What an adventure. I'm glad you made it, though I'm sorry for all the mishaps. How crazy! I hope you call that moving company and let them know that NOT ONLY did they shred your stuff, but they stole your hubby's wallet. I can't believe it! Good luck to McKinley in school. I'm sure you'll start to love it there once you get settled. Your house is just beautiful! Love you!

Dottie Stay said...

Dev, i am the worst! i didn't even know you were moving. Um,. hello, where have I been? well, I guess having a baby takes you out for a while. I miss you already. You are the greatest. I love your new house. it is beautiful. You will make it even more beautiful. What a great place to be. such a pretty area. I loved your novel. it was great to read. I can't believe all the adventures you have had. I mean talk about an eventful week or so. Oh, I love you. I will be checking on you. Keep us posted.

Amber, Bryan, Easton, and Rufus said...

Sounds like a wild ride. Sorry for all the craziness. I hope you settle in quickly and love it there. Utah and all the people here will miss you.

Layne & Kellie said...

Wow! What a week! I hope everything settles down for you! I can't believe the stolen wallet!!!

Good luck in PA! It looks beautiful!