So, I might have complained a little bit in my January blog about the lack of snow in January compared to December. I should be fair and note that the huge snowfall we got before Christmas set records in Philly, and that we don't ever normally get much snow. Well...I complained, and then it decided to snow. And snow. And snow! We got about 20 inches on one Saturday and then we got another 24 inches a few days later on Tuesday and Wednesday. It was actually pretty crazy! We like to think that we're pretty hard-core when it comes to snow from our Utah days, but I don't think we've ever seen that much snow that close together! And we usually joke that people out here in Philly let snow rule their lives because it only takes a few inches to cancel school, but this Eastern snow is so different than the Utah snow! First of all, it is HEAVY and very wet (which makes it way heavier, and much harder to shovel). Then, even when there's just a couple of inches on the street, driving is basically like ice skating in a car! So the fact that school was cancelled for a couple of days was probably a good thing.
During the storms, we got to stay home and have a bunch of fun snow days with my mom visiting! We had a lot of fun with Nana Betty being here enjoying the snow with us. We made lots of yummy food like Nana Farol's homemade potato soup and lots of Cafe Rio salads (my wonderful mother once again brought us salad dressing in a thermos in her luggage...yum!). And we were very lucky to get to just stay home with our power on, which did not happen for everyone! We knew quite a few people who lost power for up to 3-4 days, so we were very very glad to have heat and lights! Apparently having all these huge eastern trees everywhere make it much more dangerous for power lines and generators when they fall over! Anyway, here are some of our pictures from the two blizzards.
And if you contrast these two pics of Milt, the one on the left was taken while shoveling from the first blizzard, and the one on the left was DURING the second (he had to shovel multiple times during the snow to keep on top of it all!) He is all smiling at first, but was not happy by the second storm, and was REALLY seeing the benefit of owning a snow blower (like a few of our lucky neighbors)!



This pic shows the kids playing on their new climbing gym after the first storm here, and you can kind of see how much snow we got after the first storm, when the kids LOVED playing on it with the snow under it! It is actually makes quite a fun snow toy!
And here after the second storm, you can only see about half of the play gym! The kids couldn't manage to get out there to play in it quite as well now (probably since the snow would have gone up to Kennedy's shoulders by then!)
And cute little Maddox really only liked walking on the "shoveled" portion of the driveway...and he loves eating snow! But he couldn't just eat snow on the top, he had to stick his arm in the MIDDLE of the snow piles and then bringing his find out to eat. He was so funny about it! And he didn't even get to go out after the second storm hit because there was just too much snow for him and he got a stomach bug that kept him inside for a week (which was probably best!)

And here is McKinley after the first storm holding on to the sign by the street, her favorite place.
Here is a pic of pretty Kennedy, refusing to even look at the camera while we were out playing one day. She LOVES playing in the snow, and has never once wanted to come inside (we always have to make her come in). She can stay out in the cold for hours!

These next two pictures show Kennedy out foraging around after the first blizzard (because, of course, it was too deep for her to do it after the second). She would just hike out where no one had been, and plop down to do snow angels.
Here is her snow angels (this was as close as I could get because I didn't want to walk through all that snow...which of course I had to do a few minutes later anyway when she got stuck!)
And this is my favorite picture because it shows my Mom and Maddox inside staying warm and watching (and laughing) at me climbing through the snow to rescue Kennedy when she got stuck doing her snow angel. Yeah. I was pretty much crazy and wearing clogs without socks while climbing through the snow because I'm a good mom...although I must admit that it took me a few hesitating seconds of her freaking out and crying before I ventured in (half of the time my clogs would get buried in the snow, so my next step was barefoot until I could unbury my shoe). I was only out in the first place to take a few quick pictures (on the shoveled sidewalk and driveway) before hurring back in to the warmth, so I wasn't completely crazy being out there like that. But Kennedy learned her lesson because she certainly didn't forage in the snow after the second storm. She was too afraid of getting stuck in even MORE snow!
5 comments:
I think Kennedy and Oliver are made of the same stuff. Oliver would easily play until he was completely frostbitten if I let him. And even now he cries all the time because he doesn't want the snow to melt!
Way to make me home sick for the East and all the glorious snow days. It's good to hear a UT native say the roads really are icier there--makes the Easterners look a little less wussy during their storms. :) It also seems they don't have sufficient plows or something b/c it takes forever to get to digging out neighborhoods (at least in DC). You guys got a ton of snow! I'm glad you kept power through it all. Have fun in your snow--I'm totally jealous! :)
Of course the year we leave it decides to blizzard and dump Philly. We are jealous. We have not seen anything close to that here in Utah. We sure miss you! BTW - I don't get visit taught out here, not once!!!! Can you and Charity move here and lets go to lunch?
Devon, I happened on your blog through Sharlynn's. Your kids are so cute! It is crazy to see people from high school and where they are at in their lives and their families. What a great experience to live in Penn. I love the East Coast, what a neat opportunity for your family. Good to see you doing well.
So totally awesome! No I don't want to loose power or have to shovel a walk and I never want to drive in that stuff again. But playing in all that beautiful white stuff, That brings some of the best childhood feelings. Snow is pretty cool!
Post a Comment