When I was little, one of my favorite things was school read-a-thons when you got to go to sit on the floor on a pillow wearing pajamas in class and read for hours at a time. It was always the best day of school. And since then, I've heard people talk about how great it is when their kids got old enough that they could have family read-a-thons and just sit around and read together for an hour (or more!) at home in the evening or on a Saturday morning. I always think about it and I couldn't wait for my kids to all learn to read so we could have a read-a-thon too.
Well, I decided that I didn't want to wait anymore for the kids to all know how to read...so we went ahead and had a family read-a-thon last week, and everyone loved it! The kids were actually moderately quiet for about 40 minutes, which I thought was a great start for our first read-a-thon. Milt got to lay down on the couch and read a book he's been meaning to read, the kids each sat on the other couch with their pile of books, and I got to finish the book I was reading without feeling guilty! Occasionally we did have to remind one of the kids to be quiet, which was probably normal, but they caught on quick that they were just looking through books by themselves (Maddox felt very grown up). Just before it was time to stop, we took a couple pictures and caught this gem of Kennedy:

It's not everyday that you catch one of your kids' personality coming out so clearly in a photo, but this was a golden moment! That face shushing me is Kennedy in a nutshell. And someday she'll make a fine librarian, don't you think? She's a natural!
8 comments:
Agh! I love this post! That middle photo of the kids on the couch (each in their own "section"--super cool) is awesome! and that kennedy, well, she is one of the classic greats, she is. Love it. This would never work at my house because Scott would whine too much about having to read a book . . .snicker snicker. But I keep working on it---i show him how fun reading is (as I ignore household chores and conversations--oops! hmmm, maybe THAT's why he hates books . . . )
That's awesome! What a great idea. And I'm very impressed that they lasted that long! :)
Oh, My Goodness! It's genetic! And aren't they great kids?! And what super parents they have~
Nana Betty
Shhh! Love that face!
xoxoxo
That is a GREAT idea! I love it. Of course my kids seem to want to read a book when I ask them to clean up toys or they want toys when I sit to read. I somehow need to coordinate and get us reading TOGETHER!
Wow--I don't think my kids would sit still that long! But, the pic of Kennedy is classic. Love you!
Such a cute idea. We'll have to try that one!
Love this idea, Devon! Will definitely be stealing the idea for summer days...
Post a Comment