Sunday, May 17, 2009

Desperate times call for...

So this last week I finally caved and decided that Cafe Rio (or Costa Vida..I'm not picky) aren't going to be building a new franchise out here in Philly...so I had to try to make a Fire-grilled Chicken Salad myself! A huge thanks to all of you who have sent me recipes for this stuff. I've had so many people e-mail them to me, and the only problem was that I now have a bunch of different recipes for Cafe Rio and I have to try them all to figure out which ones taste the most like the original! But our first shot turned out pretty well. The dressing was the thing that tasted the most different, which is really sad because that is the main thing I miss (I knew there was a secret, probably illegal, ingredient!!!) But overall the salad looks close, right?

It also took hours to make all of the stuff to go in the salad (homemade tortillas, cilantro-lime rice, black beans, grilled chicken, guacamole, pico de gallo, and crispy tortilla strips), plus it cost way more than I thought it would to buy all of the groceries to make everything. I've decided it is totally worth the $6-7 to just go into the restaurant and order (plus the long lines are even quicker than all the time I spent cooking!) So if you just happen to stop by a Cafe Rio/Costa Vida and get a salad, please feel very spoiled and think of me....slaving away in a kitchen trying to decide how many tomatillos to add to the dressing next time!

And yes, I know I'm pathetic. I'd like to say I'm working on it, but let's be honest--this is one obsession that just isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

5 comments:

Robin said...

I have to say I am starting to feel really glad that I have NEVER been to Cafe' Rio. I have heard of some of those recipes lately and thought of sending them your way, but I guess eveyone has beaten me to it. We are glad to see you had such a great Mother's Day and visit with your Aunt and Nana. I keep trying to figure out a way to get us up there soon too. We sure miss you!

Andrea said...

I do think of you every time I go to Cafe Rio. I can't imagine living without it.:) Have you heard of or tried Chipotle? They had one of those in MD, so I thought maybe you'd have one by you. If not, a trip to D.C. is closer than Utah, right? It was similar to Cafe Rio and even has the long lines to make you feel at home! I hope you find something that compares soon!

Deanna said...

How much do I have to pay for a Cafe Devon salad? That looks delish!
xoxoxo

Chell said...

sure does look yummy to me!!

Tran said...

You are so funny. I have the pork salad recipe and am going to try it next week hopefully.