Friday, April 17, 2009

Romantic dinner for two?


Last Saturday Milt was DETERMINED to take me on a date with just the two of us, but finding a sitter didn't work out like he planned. SOOOO, we decided to take the kids out to Ruby Tuesday with us...and it actually wasn't too bad! We ended up spending less buying food for the kids than we would have paid a sitter, but the kids didn't let us pretend they weren't there like we had planned to do. They're harder to ignore than you think.

We did realize a few new things about each of the kids while at dinner though. Maddox can DEFINITELY eat his own meal now, and he will pretty much finish whatever the other kids don't eat of theirs too (so much for leftovers...he takes too much after Milt). And Kennedy can just about out-eat Milt when it comes to ketchup, and having your waitress bring out little silver "cups" of ketchup is a little embarrassing when you are asking for more every few minutes! What happened to the Heinz bottles at the tables? And when I substituted her empty little silver dish of ketchup with the little dish of barbecue sauce, she dived right in and was absolutely distraught at the taste (and it was really good barbecue sauce!) She looked horrified and she then clearly said, "I'm gonna be sick!" What amazing drama at such a young age...where do you think she gets that from? And then McKinley informed us that she doesn't like going to restaurants where you have to "sit down and wait for your food." She prefers the "really nice kind of restaurant where you get your food at the counter when you pay" (fast food) because then she doesn't have to be patient. Hmmm...that would have been handy to know BEFORE we took them out to dinner! But she did say that the only place she doesn't mind waiting for her food is Olive Garden (this she said when the waitress was standing right there -- lovely!) Oh, children. They are such fun, right?

7 comments:

Sherian said...

that's hilarious!! They don't know how good they have it. I always tell my kids that when I was a kid..."I only ate at a restaurant MAYBE once a year...on a special occasion...and it was always the same restaurant." (so maybe I stretch it a little)
If I lived closer I would totally take your kiddos for an evening...I would love to just sit and have conversations with your girls all night long! love them!

Nana Betty said...

Okay, okay, so they take after me... But the Ketchup thing is definitely Kirby! He has at least a 20 years supply at home and he keeps buying more of it here! But I'm really glad that you got out for a date. I promise I'll come and babysit for you this summer..
Love you,
Mom

Melanie said...

McKinley is right - Olive Garden is one place where I don't mind waiting for my food. I could eat the salad and breadsticks all day! But announcing that in front of the waitress - that's too funny!

Karin said...

I'm impressed you ventured out anyway. Isn't it depressing when you have to start buying meals for EACH of your kids? At least the ketchup refills were free, right?

Robin said...

The last dinner we had out we still had Philip with us and it was amazing how easy it was! We would have never thought that was a date when Jacob was a baby, but our perspectives have sure changed. At least you guys tried! I think we gave up FOREVER ago on romantic dinners for just the two of us. Now we have romantic ice cream at home AFTER the kids go to bed.

K-Krew said...

We're in the same boat. If you're up for it we would love to trade babysitting sometime. Then we could both do romantic dinner for two rather than five :)

Annie said...

Every time we take our children with us anywhere, we just wonder...why???! But we still do it a little too often. I just read your last couple of posts...do you really not have Costco anymore? How are you living? Seriously! I'll think of you when I go to Costco today, and tomorrow, and probably the day after too! :)