Friday, September 19, 2008

Culture Shock

Moving away from Utah and being in a new state is kind of a surreal experience. I have completely had culture shock for the last couple of weeks, but I think/hope that I am finally getting my bearings. Everywhere I turn I find myself saying, “where are we? This place is so weird!” I mean, I know it’s Utah that is different from the rest of the world, but you forget what everywhere else is like. I mean really…no one lets their children run from neighbor to neighbor's house all day and not worry like we did in Utah. And to bump into other MOMS at the bus stop…I never realized there was any other way! So I am adjusting, and I really am learning to love it here. The people have been SO nice everywhere we go, and it truly is beautiful. I just think it’s going to take time to make friends (which is normal), but I just don’t like waiting for the normal "year" (or so I've been told) that it takes to truly feel at home in a new place! So here is a list I've compiled to try to explain what's so different about this new place (and for me to try to put it in words so it doesn't feel so strange anymore.)

GREAT THINGS ABOUT PENNSYLVANIA:

  • The diversity is awesome, and it is so good for the kids to grow up realizing that they're not the center of the universe, in so many ways! In fact, I love just hearing the names of the kids in McKinley’s class at school and hearing about the different cultures and things their families do.

  • People think my children are adorable and stop us everywhere we go (even when I’m jogging) just to look at them and tell me how cute they are…if this happened in Utah, no one would ever get anywhere because there are so many kids!

  • We have grown closer as family (the kids have to like hanging out with us, we’re the only people they know.)

  • Milt is home every night (although he’s not real fond of driving in traffic everyday to get to work…)

  • I now have a child with curly hair like me! Kennedy wakes up everyday and her hair is CURLY! Check out the pictures, they are too cute!

  • There are so many cool historical things to do everywhere, and I LOVE seeing all the really old buildings (and by old, I mean OLD) that are so well kept up.

  • All parents need to have a federal background check before they are allowed to volunteer at the schools here. This is actually very reassuring, but it is a pain that I need to get one too…

  • The TREES! They are everywhere, and they are BEAUTIFUL! I jog every morning after we take McKinley to the bus stop, and the neighborhood next to ours is much older and has some ginormous trees. I just put the two little ones in their stroller and we go squirrel watching while I jog. I absolutely love it, and I’m trying to get as much in as I can before it gets too cold. (I’ll have to take pictures of the area sometime to post, because you have to see it to appreciate it).

  • Our house. I REALLY love the pantry, and the laundry room, and my bathtub, and MY OWN closet (and Milt likes his quite a bit too…). We’ll post some pictures when we get it all decorated up.
THINGS THAT WILL TAKE SOME GETTING USED TO:

  • Having to drive McKinley for 10-15 minutes to play with someone in her class at school or 15-25 minutes to see someone from church. It's totally worth it to make her happy, but it's different.

  • Being the only Mom at the bus stop with the all the nannies…I kid you not. It took me a week to meet a mom in our neighborhood. And I will never assume that anyone is anyone else’s child for fear of offending another nanny. (I asked one about her “kids” and she informed me she is only 25, and just the nanny…little does she know that there are millions of kindergarten moms in Utah who are 25 – it is possible!)

  • Hearing little kids talk like mobsters. I have been told that it is actually just a Jersey accent, but to me, I’ve only heard mobsters talk like that on TV. Hearing little 3 year olds talk like that is more than a little unnerving (but it is actually pretty cute once you get used to it.)

  • Streets that zigzag every direction (usually to go over/around rivers) and the main streets are called by their highway number rather than name (and I keep making up my own numbers, so people look at me funny when I ask questions about how to get places.)

  • Waking up in the morning and having all the windows in our house fogged over (like when you’re in a parked car…). It’s just bizarre.

  • Hardly any selection at the grocery store of certain things. For example, there are very few brands of Mexican food (like only Mission brand tortillas) and almost all the Crystal Light here is Iced Tea (we are Raspberry Lemonade Crystal Light addicts, and can’t find it anywhere!) I guess we'll have to drink more water...

  • Watching the news and seeing actual scary “NEWS” that is happening not far from you!

  • Tropical Storm Warnings (WHAT!?! …It apparently doesn’t matter that we are not in a coastal state. We still can lose power for weeks, so we’ve stocked up!)
  • And of course: no CafĂ© Rio, Cost Vida, Bajio, Los Hermanos, etc….

Kennedy's BedHead Curly Hair

This is what her hair looks like after I've just let it dry naturally...it's so much easier than straight!

The steamed up house windows..this is what they looked like one morning when we woke up

The kids in their stroller for our morning jog (and yes, Maddox is still increasing in size rapidly)

Milt in HIS closet that he doesn't have to share with me (he is standing by his "hawaiian shirt section" for his ONE hawaiian shirt, and explaining why he can't share any room for any of my stuff)

12 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm so proud of you. I know I would be having major culture shock as well. I'm sure it's beautiful out there and from what I've seen in pictures, your house is amazing! Just remember that in a few years you'll LOVE it there and if the time comes to move again, you'll be sad to leave it! I miss you too! You are so great! Very soon everyone will know that about you too and you'll have so many friends you'll be turning down offers for fun night out ;)

Mindi B said...

Oh, just reading all of that made me miss you even more. That's crazy about all the nannies! Too bad people don't get it! So, the window thing is a bugger. We had that in some of our windows in our last house and a bunch of the people in our neighbor hood had the same problem and got them replaced - I think Talya was one of those - it was a pain though to not be able to see outside!!! I hope it gets better as the day goes on.

I love the closet picture. After our last house, that was a huge change when we moved here! I hope things will get more normal soon! You are a super duper friendly person and will be as close to the people there as you were here!

jb said...

It sounds so pretty there, I bet you love all the green. My hair gets a little curl in it too, when I hit humidity. Have a wonderful day

Jodi said...

The windows remind me of what it was like in Houston when I lived there...I loved the humidity! Aaaahhh...memories. I'm so happy for you! It sounds like an awesome adventure!

Sherian said...

I just love you! You really should come back for basketball, it's a good excuse to stock up on Raspberry Lemonade! (I will totally mail you some for Christmas.) It doesn't surprise me that you get stopped because your kids are so cute...because they REALLY are!
My fav though, is picturing how happy your awesome family is every night with Milt home and your kids 'hanging out' with you. How cool is that?
(I can't wait to see more pics of your house, it is awesome!)

Forsyth Family said...

What a great adventure you are having! Hearing you talk about the things you love about it there--made me remember why I always said I would never raise my kids in Utah!!! We had windows like that in Washington--also be watchful for mold--especially in the winter on outside walls you have furniture on--we learned that one the hard way! I can't wait for pictures of your house all decorated--we miss you

Jen said...

Oh, Devon! I feel for you. I remember in Mass Rich and I would have to drive to Connecticut just to get some mexican food-- and even then it was Taco Bell! You are a trooper and you will make friends before you know it! I miss you, too. Hopefully things will start feeling a little more normal soon!

Sharlynn said...

umm, so it has been way to long. I haven't checked out your blog for a while and I didn't even know you moved. You commented on mine saying you miss SS and I thought that was weird. Anyway, what a fun adventure. It will get better and it will start to feel like home and then you will get to a point that you will wonder if you ever want to come back to Utah. I hope all is well.

Jen Tornow said...

Devon! I miss you! I hope that you are able to get into the Pennsylvania groove soon. Those lucky people out there are about to find out what a cool chick they've got in town now. I'm a little jealous of them. Just be patient while you get through this transition. There are good people and great opportunities wherever you are---and I know you will find them!

Johnson said...

Wow, Dev!! That post made me miss you! I can't imagine the shock you must be going through. Greg and I have talked alot about moving out of state and how nice it would be for our family...but it would be hard in so many other ways. My sister lives in Erie..how far away is that from you? I mean if you get desperate you can high tale it over to be friends with her...she would love it because she just moved there in June. I think she is loving it and finally feeling settled...so don't worry it doesn't take a whole year!! I have the recipes for all of the cafe rio pork salad and I tried it and everything was the same on down to the home made tortillas..and it was pretty dang easy too!!! Let me know if you want it!!! Tell us when you come to visit and we can go for a Cafe rio run!!! I love you!!!

Tran said...

I completely understand what you mean about culture shock. It was that way with me moving from Aust to Utah. I am glad you are beginning to like where you live. It truly does take time and you will learn to love it.
Maddox really is getting so much bigger. He is almost at the same length as Kennedy.

Andrea said...

Kennedy's hair is adorable curly! And I can't beleive how big Maddox is getting! Has it really been that long? He's such a cute boy. I wish I could come up with a way to send you some Cafe Rio take out! I'm sure that would make you feel a little more at home. I'll keep thinking!