Thursday, August 4, 2011

Exploring NYC

Milt had the chance to stay overnight for work a few weeks ago in New York City, and I got to join him!  I had a wonderful friend volunteer to babysit, so I drove in to the city to meet up with Milt.  Driving in NYC is absolutely crazy and nerve-wracking -- it is not for the feint of heart!  But once I got the car parked for a ridiculous amount of money, I was good to go!  Once Milt was done working for the day, we took the subway to go to the New York City LDS Temple, and then we walked around Central Park and Times Square, where I made Milt take pictures of me with the new Mormon.org ad in Times Square (which Milt thought I was crazy for being so excited about).


Then we got some yummy cheesecakes and a cannoli (apparently, I've turned into a serious cannoli fan...who would've guessed?).  We had no specific destination in mind, we just walked all over, enjoying ourselves chatting and exploring.  It's always good to have moments when there are no little children interrupting your conversation, and it was very overdue.  It's nice to often realize how much we still really like each other!


The next morning I slept in while Milt went to his meetings, and then I got to wander the city.  I started out by doing some shopping (in the ginormous Times Square Macys) and then I visited some really fun areas that I hadn't been to before.  I went down to Greenwich Village and then stopped by Magnolia's Bakery for cupcakes in West Village.  I loved the West Village neighborhoods, and decided that's where I would live if I ever moved to NYC (and had an endless amount of $$$, of course). 


There are some amazing places in NYC, especially once you get off the beaten tourist path, and I had a really great time -- until we started the drive back home.  I kept thinking that I don't know why so many people feel the need to all live on one little island....it gets so crazy when you have to drive somewhere!  But luckily living in Philly has made us adjust to hearing obsessed-honking cars.  It becomes almost endearing when you get used to it (almost, and for short periods of time).  I don't think there's anywhere else like the East coast when it comes to having such energetic drivers. ;)

2 comments:

Dave and Nanette said...

I love the mormon billboard! That is so cool.
ok..so you know I love canolis too..thanks to dave. he knows where to get some really good ones. we will have to get some for you next time we go:)
Looks like you guys had a blast!

K-Krew said...

Sounds like a fun little get-away! It's always fun to just go exploring. And there's a Magnolia's Bakery really close to the temple. We saw it when we were just walking around the city.