Thursday, December 4, 2008

Middle Child Syndrome

Milt has pointed out to me that I never write posts about Kennedy, and that she is only included in posts and pictures with all of the kids (unless it's her birthday). So I thought, well what am I supposed to write about -- that she's always in Time-Out? Then I realized that I am spending all my time writing and taking pictures of the oldest and the youngest, and I am treating her like a forgotten middle child!

Now, I am a middle child and I LOVE it. Most people claim that the middle child in a family is the one that is always forgotten and ignored, but I just figured at least my parents didn't expect me to be perfect (like the oldest), or baby me (like the youngest). Both of my parents were middle children as well, so I always thought that made me more relatable to them (okay, so that may be a stretch, but it's more or less true.) But because of all this, I always planned to spoil rotten the middle children that I would someday have.

Fast forward to now. I have a middle child, and she is driving me CRAZY! Maybe it's because she is 2, or maybe it's just because we're too much alike (although I do not throw food or tantrums...very often). I have found myself following the very path that is such a cliche: I expect my oldest to be perfect, and I LOVE babying the baby (see previous post). Sooooo, how did this happen? Why, when I'm looking through the pictures I've taken recently, do I have such a hard time finding pictures of Kennedy all by herself? I am supposed to be spoiling her! So the last few days I've tried to focus on her cute moments (which do happen in-between tantrums), so that I can remember this lovely, joyful, 2-year-old stage of her life.

This is the Kennedy that makes us crazy at times: She is WAY more stubborn than I would ever admit to being (Milt says she gets it from me). She wants to get her way every second, and she has absolutely NO patience yet...but we're keeping our fingers crossed that it will come. She screams whenever she wants something, and she is constantly beating up her older sister and her baby brother (when she consents to even coming near him...she's not a huge fan of him yet and I'm thinking it's repressed issues of him taking over her baby years too soon, but we'll see.)

But here is the Kennedy that cracks us up: She loves to make us laugh. Usually that comes from hanging food out of her mouth and making silly noises, but she loves getting us all smiling. She likes to mimic everything I say and do, and then she quirks her head sideways and gives me a "knowing" look to let me know that she's copying me. She doesn't talk a lot, but when she does, she says things so cute, like "Here go you" (for here you go), and "BIIIIIIG" when she wants more. But the best is when she says, "WHAAAAAAAT?" with a scowl on her face whenever she is woken up or interrupted from something.

Kennedy climbs everything and falls at least once a day (usually on her head), but she only cries if it REALLY hurts. Usually, she just lays on the floor with her eyes closed, hoping that no one will notice her mishap. Of course, she also closes her eyes when she's embarrassed or the center of attention around strangers, and I can totally relate. Who doesn't want to make everyone disappear when you feel uncomfortable? I think closing your eyes is brilliant!

She is actually much cleaner and neater than other kids her age. This may result in an OCD future for her, but for now she CANNOT stand having dirty hands, and if she spills something it has to be cleaned up IMMEDIATELY (or she goes crazy!) And everything in her world has to be "just right" and put in its place before she can move on to the next thing. My mother will tell you that Kennedy DOES NOT get this from me (although she is obsessed with chocolate, and I'm afraid that probably does come from me.)

She dresses up in dress up clothes everyday. If I hide the dress-up clothes, then she takes off whatever I put her in and puts on McKinley's skirts or dresses (over and over if necessary, along with taking out any "hair stuff" I've attempted to put in). She has to wear her ruby slippers or dress-up heels at all times, and the only reason she even cares about going to "time-out" is that we make her take off her shoes first. I have great fears about her future shoe expenses! But it is pretty funny to see a girl in a full gown and high heels trying to climb counters and cabinets, and we see it everyday. A high-heeled rock-climbing future is ahead of us.....the girl has no bounds!

We really really love our Kennedy girl. Even if she looks like no one ever gets her dressed or does her hair, she's ours, and we ADORE HER! And I'm SURE that once she outgrows her 2-year old stage, she will be absolutely PERFECT, just like her mother (right Mom and Dad?)!

This is "pouty" Kennedy. We see this face often. And yes, she is wearing Maddox's jammies, because they were close at hand and they can wear the same size.

I took this picture because Kennedy was ADAMANT that Barbie (and not Ken) should be driving. She would not play with the car until I put Barbie in the driver's seat....that's my girl!

Here is Kennedy wearing McKinley's necklace and skirt...at one point in the day her hair was done and she had on pants and a sweatervest. I think the only reason she's still wearing the turtleneck is that she couldn't get it off herself. Two points to the turtleneck!

Kennedy pretending to be Sleeping Beauty. I love the lips puckered, waiting for her prince. Too funny!

Here is me and my Kennedy girl!

8 comments:

Deanna said...

I'm the youngest and only girl in the family, but there are NO signs of favortism for me. In fact, my brother Tim just above me is the favorite...and he knows it.
xoxoxo
Cute sleeping beauty!

Sherian said...

What a cutie pie! It's nice to know of other naked, messy haired girls out there! Curse those dress-up clothes...sometimes I wonder why I even dress her at all.
I really appreciate this post. I am the oldest, and I put my oldest through the pressure I went through (even though I swore I would never do that!)
I realized last week that either I forget my second child, or there's nothing to report about her. I need to do better. I think with what a nut job I am, flying under the radar at my house is probably the only hope for a normal childhood.

RaeLynn said...

Just in case I haven't told you enough times, or you're starting to forget--I love your blog. I love that you are crazy about your kids and I love your personality. I miss you Dev!

Mindi B said...

She's a hoot!!! I am a middle child too and I tell ya, middle children are the best!!!! (I still can't get over the time she was dangling the food over the carpet when you specifically told her not to - that is my favorite; the taunting of the parent. he he)

Rachel said...

What a cute post Devon. Kennedy is darling and she sounds a lot like Addy, who was my middle child with repressed feelings of a stolen infancy as well! She is darling though. I can't wait to see what's in store for her (and you!)

Andrea said...

She is so darling and she's getting so big! I love that she refused to let Ken drive the car. That's awesome. She is one feisty little lady.
The post of McKinley reading is super adorable. Charlotte's Web?!? No wonder she was a little bored with first grade!

Kimberly Wright said...

That Kennedy has a cute personality!! Plus she is super duper adorable too.

Got your Christmas Card, so adorable thanks! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

Macy said...

I really enjoyed reading this! I also have a little "middle-child" girl- who is driving me nuts! I'm glad to know that I'm not alone!