Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Virus Bouquet for Mother's Day

If you live in our house, chances are you’ve had a virus or two this past month. We seem to have caught them all at the end of the cold season – the stomach flu (twice!), sore throats, hacking coughs, aches, exhaustion – you name it, we’ve had it.

Well, on Mother’s Day, even the computer caught one. When I came home after church to e-mail something to my mom, some yucky virus downloaded onto my desktop and spread like crazy. Apparently my supposed anti-virus software wasn’t up to fighting the good fight. Nice.

Well, I soon opened my Mother’s Day presents, and Milt had gotten me one of these:



YAAAAAY, right? …Except now it will be going back to the store so we can buy me a new desktop instead, which isn’t nearly as fun! Happy Mother’s Day to me!  The desktop was old and out of hard drive space anyway, so it was bound to happen sooner or later.  This just made us go with "sooner!"

Even with the demise of my good ‘ol computer, my Mother’s Day was wonderful. It was my first full day of completely being recovered from the stomach flu, so I could finally eat again – that was a real treat! The kids and Milt made me scrambled eggs for breakfast (pure protein so that my brain would work while teaching Relief Society at church), and then for dinner they made California Croissant sandwiches (Turkey with avocado)….yum! I also got to take a long, much needed nap before dinner, and afterwards Milt taught the kids a little lesson for our Family Home Evening on “Being grateful to Mommy ALL YEAR LONG, not just on Mother’s Day.” It was great! I think he should teach the kids this valuable tidbit every week -- I loved it! ;)  

A few days earlier I got to attend a Mother’s Day tea party with Kennedy at her Pre-school, and that was a fun little outing. The tea party was a lovely little brunch and Kennedy gave me a bunch of cute things she had made for me. In fact she had a wrapped gift that she demanded I open RIGHT THEN, which was a little box made out of popsicle sticks with jewels and buttons glued on top, and inside was two Hershey’s kisses – which she promptly asked if she could eat (which is why I had to open it RIGHT THEN…she needed a chocolate fix.) That’s my Kennedy girl! She loves her teacher and her classmates and has just realized that they won’t all be going to the same kindergarten as she will next year – so sad!

Me and Kennedy at her Pre-school tea party

My present from McKinley was really creative. In her class at school they had made piñatas for Mother’s Day gifts. The one she made me looked like a person with red wavy streamer hair with a cute face drawn in the middle. It was a paper bag all stapled shut with candy inside, and the idea was that I had to break it open by hitting it blindfolded (I just closed my eyes) to get the present inside. It was very fun! The kids absolutely loved watching me bash at it with a pot and they just laughed and laughed…who’d have thought they’d enjoy watching ME hit a piñata so much? I guess I don’t normally join in those kinds of things, and they got a big kick out of it!

Sorry the picture is so blurry, but it was taken with an iPhone by a laughing child. ;)

So at the end of this great day of being hugged, kissed, and fought over by the kids, I had a few minutes to sit and actually ponder motherhood for a change. Usually my brain is too busy for any deep thoughts, and the noise level around here isn’t often very conducive to pondering. But after the presents were opened and the kids were all being put to bed, I actually sat and thought about my role in the kids’ lives and about motherhood in general. During my musings I think it really registered to me for the first time how important motherhood is as a “profession.” I thought about the influence my own mother has been on me, and it is almost beyond comprehension how much she contributed to who I am today. She taught us all so many priceless lessons and the older I get the more valuable they’ve proven to be. I’m realizing that there are key things in life that you eventually have to learn one way or another, and luckily my mom taught me so many of them before I had to learn them the “hard” way. I don't say it nearly enough, but thank you to my Mom for passing along her wisdom, example, and love! I hope I can teach my children all the things that you taught me (especially a love for Nutella and chocolate chip cookies!)

And Milt’s mom has raised Milt to be such a great husband and father, and it’s really so much to her credit how easy it makes my life because she did such a great job with him. I really can’t thank her enough for that! ;) And of course both our Moms (and Dads) had to have amazing mothers to become the incredible people they are…it just goes on and on! So Happy Mother’s day to all of the mothers and grandmothers in our lives! You all have made a difference in the world through your love, and it gives me a little more hope that even when I want to pull my hair out with the chaos my little ones create that what I’m doing is worth something!

Happy Mother’s Day Nana Betty, Nana Jacki, Nana Farol, Momoe, Nana Kathleen, and Grandma Evie! We love you all!

2 comments:

K-Krew said...

You and Kennedy look so cute at the Mother's Day tea party! And I love the part about the chocolate :) Here's to hoping everyone stays virus-free, even the computer.

Rachel said...

Love it. And I love you! You are a great mother and deserve every single bit of pampering!